Cutting edge Container Berth
Since Gwangyang Port has good weather condition receiving influences of warm current of the southern sea and the natural channel of 20m depth, and can maintain the calm water as the mountains and islands around the port served as natural breakwater, the safe work is possible under any severe weather.
Since in Gwangyang bay where the Gwangyang Port is located, Gwangyang Iron, which has the world's No. 1 crude steel production, large size of Yeocheon Petrochemical Complex and Yulchon Industrial Complex are connected with industrial belt, the inter-cooperation system has been built organically, and since Trans Korea Railroad (TKR), which is under construction, is connected with TSR and TCR, if the 'Iron Silk Road' is built, it will play the optimal role as the hub of Northesast Asian cargo transit and transshipment base as the railway transportation is possible not only to the Russia and China but also to Europe, and the 40 cities having the population more than 1 million are spread out within the 1,000 km radius.
Particularly, as geo-politically, it is located at the center of Northeastern Asia and on the major route of connecting Asia-North America-Europe, it secured the center and relay base of the ports and since it is connected with the major ports of China including Shanghai, it is estimated as optimal place for transit cargo for China, which is rapidly growing as 21st century economic superpower. In addition, since Gwanyangman Hinterland Complex, which area is reaching to 3.88㎢, is developed as a duty free zone where the free trade is guaranteed, not only the businesses related to the logistics such loading, transportation, transshipment, etc. but also the relevant support businesses such as financing, insurance, trade, marketing, etc will be moving in rapidly.
Characteristics of Berth
- Secure the depth allowing the entry and departure and unloading of large container ship
- 1. Depth of water: front of quay: 1.5m, waterway: 20m
- 2. Due to wide CY(14,184 TGS), the extension of free storage period is possible
- 3. Secure vast land of 3.88㎢ at the port hinterland
- 4. The calm water is maintained surrounded by natural breakwaters
- Enable to prevent the disaster from the typoon, tsunami, etc.
- 5. Since it is located at the center of the international main sea route and East Asia and close to the major Chinese ports, is the optimal port for container transshipment
- 6. Control facilities to guide safe navigation of ships to enter and depart
- (VTS)operation: Manage the port and exchange information by connecting PORT-MIS and VTS system
Geopolitical Comparison of Northeast Asian Ports
|Port Competition Factor||Gwangyang Port||Gobe Port||Shanghai Port||Kaoshiung Port|
|Relay||Cargos of Northeastern region of China|
|Sea route for Europe||○||△||○||○|
|Sea route for North America||○||○||△||×|
|Cargo of Far-Eastern area of Russia|
|Sea route for Europe||○||○||×||○|
|Sea route for North America||○||○||×||×|
|Possibility to relay by land route||○||×||○|
- General Advantage
- As a new port, Gwangyang Container Berth grants the bold benefits to the shipping companies and the shippers by reducing the port charge greatly and preparing government level of measures such as tax benefits to secure the superior competitiveness from the existing ports.
- The ship entry and departure fees and the container cargo entry and departure fees are exempted totally, and the unloading charge is established at low level. The free storage period of container is extended and the storage fee is switched from progressive premium plan to simple premium plan reducing basic rate greatly.
- And the ship entry charge and anchorage charge are exempted for the ship touching at Busan Port and Gwangyan Port at the same time. Particularly, since the port and the Namhae Expressway are connected directly through the road exclusive for the containers, the loss of time by the city's traffic congestion can be reduced and allows the shipper to save time and cost by eliminating the container fee, which is charged when using Busan Port.
- Advantage for Shipper
- Exempted 100% of the container cargo entry and departure charge
- Reduced the unloading fee
- Save inland transportation charge
- Wide CY and extension of free storage period (Max. 30 days)
- Advantage for Shipping Company
- Exempted 100% of anchorage charge:340 won/10ton, 12hours (Container ship)
- Exempted 100% of port entry charge: 128 won/ton (Container ship)
- When touching at Gwangyang and Busan together, the port entry charge and anchorage charge to Busan are exempted